Week long horseback adventure in the Tuscan countryside
Week long horseback adventures are our specialty. Our Medieval Tuscany package is designed for intermediate to experienced horse riders, happy to spend between 4-6 hours in the saddle daily. The riding is not always at a fast pace (although at times it may be), but contains some challenges not suitable for novice or nervous riders such as very challenging terrain, sensitive horses, and wildlife that may require a quick retreat.
Castellare di Tonda is situated in the middle of a network of ancient trails used for centuries by travelling merchants and soldiers. Sections of cobbled road date back to the Romans, and link old castles and fortressed villages such as Castelfalfi, Montaione and Ghizzano together. We ride through a large section of protected forests rich in wildlife and prehistoric rock formations. It is not uncommon to come across wild game on our rides, and our horses are trained for this eventuality. Wolves, wild boar, deer, porcupines and badgers frequent these woods, adding an extra element of excitement for the intrepid horse rider.
Our days riding venture into areas where the traditional rural lifestyle of cultivating and harvesting grapes, olives, truffle and mushrooms continues even today. Travelling by horseback brings you in close interaction with your surroundings, and these parts of Tuscany never see the mass tourism of tourist coaches. Riding in small groups with experienced guides mean our riders are able to experience the beauty of Tuscany in a relaxed manner ‘off the beaten track’.
Take your time, and inhale the wonderful culture that surrounds you as you ride the old trails that thread through wooded hills, valleys, rivers and vineyards in this unique historical and natural paradise.
The package includes (twin share basis):
- 7 nights accommodation in a Superior one bedroom apartment (with its own kitchen/living room) or a classic two bedroom apartment with two bedrooms, one bathroom and a living area/kitchen.
- 7 wonderful buffet breakfasts at the restaurant
- 7 full course dinners at the restaurant
- 5 days horse riding on our beautiful horses with experienced English speaking guide. Three of these days have a luxury Tuscan picnic included, and two days we return to the farm for a relaxing siesta between morning and afternoon rides.
- 30 minutes Western Riding lesson in our indoor arena, to evaluate the level of the rider before we set out.
- Transfers at the set time of 16.00 (day of arrival) and 9am (day of departure) to/from Pisa airport (the main budget airlines such as Ryanair, Easyjet, Jet2 etc fly to this airport).
- Two cleaning services during the weekPrices€1265 low season
Non rider= €738
Dates Sat to Sat. March 28-4 April, April 11-18, April 18-25, April 25 – 2 May, May 2-9 (FULL) May 9-16
September 26-3 October, October 3-10, October 10-17, October 17-24, October 24-1 November
€1400 Mid season
Non rider = €870
Dates Sat to Sat: April 4-11, May 16-23, May 23-30, May 30- 6 June, June 6-13, June 13-20, June 20-27, June 27-04 July, July 4-11.
August 22-29, August 29 -5 September, September 5-12 (Slawik photo workshop only), September 12-19, September 19-26
High season Not Available (July 11- August 22)
A free bottle of our great Chianti wine on arrival per apartment!